Monday, June 18, 2007

Infrared Weekend

Last saturday, from 9:00am to 3:00pm, I roamed around Cebu City looking for best spots for Infrared (IR) Photography. I found 2 promising spots: Ayala Business Park and Talamban Family Park. It was my 1st time experimenting with an IR Filter. Too bad, it was a little too cloudy for my taste but gems abound...

Tools: Nikon D40, 18-55 kit lens with Hoya R72 Filter.


Exposure Time = 0.6"
F Number = F11
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 18mm
White Balance = Incandescent +3


Exposure Time = 2.5"
F Number = F16
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 18mm
White Balance = Incandescent +3


Exposure Time = 4"
F Number = F16
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 18mm
White Balance = Incandescent +3


Exposure Time = 3"
F Number = F18
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 30mm
White Balance = Incandescent +3


Exposure Time = 4"
F Number = F18
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 24mm
White Balance = Incandescent +3


Exposure Time = 3"
F Number = F18
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 24mm
White Balance = Incandescent +3

I consider the last image above as my best output that day. I titled it "White Christmas Tree".

In PS CS2, basic workflow is to do minor white balance correction in ACR, auto-level, swap red & blue in a channel mixer layer, and unsharp masking.

As the internet offers conflicting tips on best time to do this type of photography, I'll try doing this again during early mornings & late afternoons. Anyway, I find this genre more about composition, greens, clouds and sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Kaya pa la i cant get the "snow effect" is because my WB is adjusted incorrectly. The INCANDESCENT +3 setting is interesting, I'll try it on my D40x. I also use the Hoya IR 72. And even in time exposure - which as seen in your photo's is NOT needed. 3-4 sec will be enough at F18. Will try it using your settings.

Thanks man!

nic_led@yahoo.com

"He's called Dr. J because, on the court, he operated on people." - Nate "Tiny" Archibald on Julius "Dr. J" Erving